Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fear not , for Grey Goose vodka is vegan

So...I've decided to go vegan for 30 days. I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal - I've been eating vegan a lot lately, so the only food I had to throw out last night was the rest of a stick of butter and the last whole wheat English muffin. Who knew it had buttermilk in it? There's gonna be a lot of label reading around these here parts for next 30 days, at least.

I started today, and so far so good. A friend asked me for dinner this evening, and my first question was "do they have vegan food?". Then, because it is a mexican restaurant, I panicked. Are margaritas vegan? Jose Cuervo Tequila is for sure - I looked it up on Barnivore, which tells you if a particular brand of alcohol is vegan or not. You'd be surprised at how many animal products are used to filter alcohols. Stuff like egg whites and fish bladders. Now you know.

I think the trickiest part is going to be sugar. Regular old refined white sugar is either made from cane sugar or beets. Now, cane sugar is sometimes filtered through bone char, therefore making it non-vegan. Beet sugar never is, so you know you're in the clear there. And raw sugar is fine, too (I think). I bought a small bottle of cranberry juice cocktail, and it said that it either beet sugar or cane sugar, so it might be fine, but it might not. And I think for my purposes, unless I know for sure, it's not ok.

And so it begins. Stay tuned for more vegan adventures!





No comments:

Post a Comment